Monday, May 23, 2011

Nostalgia Is The Most Powerful Seasoning: My Book! And A Party!

I've been bursting to say something sooner, but kept it close to my chest out of sheer personal superstition.

Well, the cat is out of the bag, my book has gone to print, and it will be released very shortly.

I am so excited and thrilled that I'm practically speechless...the operating word here being practically, of course! The modesty of the book's size and scope - "Nostalgia Is The Most Powerful Seasoning" is a concise collection of my food essays with a sprinkling of heirloom family recipes published by Ate Media - belies its gestation period, to me at least. I very much feel as if the project has been brewing for a bit, albeit unconsciously, what with some of the ideas and much of the sentiment behind the essays having percolated through this space over the past years.

My elation has been made immeasurably more meaningful by the fact that the book launch will be hosted at Shermay's Cooking School, a wonderful place that I've come to think of as a second home. What better place to celebrate the occasion with friends, family and the lovely individuals I've had the tremendous pleasure of meeting via my classes?

The 3.30pm to 6.30pm session on Saturday 4 June 2011 is open to the general public and bookings are currently being taken. To reserve a place and for all inquiries, please call the school at +65 6479 8442 or 6479 8414, or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg

I greatly look forward to meeting and chatting with everyone at the event (where copies of the book will be available), especially readers of this blog and the regulars at the school who have been so supportive, gracious and unstinting in their encouragement.

Substantial snacks - including freshly made Ramly Burgers and Satay - will be served with refreshments. Please do join me at the party; it'll be a blast!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Reid said...

Jocelyn,

What wonderful news indeed. Congratulations! Wishing you much success.

7:16 pm, May 23, 2011  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Echoing Reid's sentiment, Congratulations Jocelyn. Job well done.

I wish I could go to the launch party. Must check my schedules if I can run down to Spore for a day. If not, will send someone to get your book and bring it back to KL.

12:31 am, May 24, 2011  
Blogger Vivilicious said...

J., huge congrats! S&A told me it was coming out but to actually see the cover ;-). Sadly will be in US or would have loved to have come. Will have to get a signed copy another time. Hope you can catch your breath after such a big project, whew!
Vx

12:37 am, May 24, 2011  
Blogger Choddy said...

Congratulation. I am living in Malaysia and would greatly wish I could be there to have your autograph. I will be gladly to purchase the book on my next trip to Spore. cheers!

12:44 am, May 24, 2011  
Blogger Fenny said...

Congrats!! Can't wait to read it!
I'll be in Singapore during your book launching, but I have a seminar to attend to on the same hour :(. I will definitely buy your book the next day.

8:41 am, May 24, 2011  
Anonymous Gemma said...

Congratulations Jocelyn!

11:31 pm, May 25, 2011  
Blogger Nithya said...

Jocelyn, this is such wonderful news! Congratulations and a giant virtual hug from Delhi, India. I've been reading your blog for over two years now and have wondered, very often, why no one had given you a book contract.
Is it possible to buy the book online?

2:00 pm, June 01, 2011  
Anonymous Audrey said...

congratulations! will your book be available for sale at other shops in Singapore?

4:56 pm, June 01, 2011  
Blogger Valentina said...

Well, I can't wait to get my copy. al the success to you. your work is beautiful and your deserve immense success.

1:16 am, June 07, 2011  
Blogger Valentina said...

Congratulations on the book. Can't wait to get my copy. you deserve all the success.

1:17 am, June 07, 2011  
Blogger Quay Po Cooks said...

What a timing to come to your blog. I am greeted with this wonderful news. Congrats!

5:05 pm, June 08, 2011  
Anonymous veron said...

Congratulations Joycelyn! Is there a way to get a copy of the book in the U.S. ? I'm willing to pay for the shipping or maybe available on the IPAd?

8:32 pm, June 08, 2011  
Blogger Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Have just finished reading the book. Great work, Joycelyn - you should be proud. Love all the lovely nostalgic treats and your signature lyrical style.

11:18 pm, June 26, 2011  
Anonymous Eli said...

J, the book blew me away. I cried several times reminded of my gramps. Can't wait to try the heirloom receipes!

3:11 pm, July 01, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good

1:48 pm, December 13, 2011  
Blogger Vespa Woolf said...

Your photos are some of the most beautiful I've seen and your recipes are mouth-wateringly delicious! Please check out my food ideas when you have a chance at http://vespawoolf.hubpages.com/.

12:10 am, May 26, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home