Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bake a Batch of Bars

I suspect the lovely people who've attended more than one of my classes here are more than familiar with a recurring theme - that learning just one master recipe or technique opens the door to many other variations. This is the reason for the inclusion of a bonus section in the recipe pack, which details all the extra recipes, ideas and serving suggestions that build upon the fundamentals demonstrated at class.

For instance, the rich and buttery shortbread base used for the Chocolate "Pecan Pie" Bar Cookies here can easily form the basis for many other bar cookies.

To make “Bounty” Bar Cookies (the picture at the top of this post), the shortbread layer is topped with a coconut candy filling and a milk chocolate glaze (using Valrhona Jivara Lactée 40%). If you love that addictive blue-wrapped candy, this is the bar cookie after your heart.

As for the Millionaire’s Shortbread Bar Cookies, purportedly named for its richness, it's truly an affordable luxury in a bear market. Here, the shortbread base is topped with sticky chewy caramel and a dark chocolate glaze (using Valrhona Equatoriale Noire 55%).

The above will feature in Ultimate Chocolate Treats II, a demo class I'll be teaching at Shermay's Cooking School on 11 April 2009 (Saturday), 12 April 2009 (Sunday), 25 April 2009 (Saturday) and 26 April 2009 (Sunday) - the April schedule has all the necessary details. For all inquiries, please call the school at +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ... yum! I want one of the Millionaire’s Shortbread Bar Cookies. Those looke like pure bliss.

10:50 pm, March 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joycelyn - wish I could have these fabulous looking bar cookies with my coffee right now... only you can make something so simple look elegant and beautiful! Hope all is well. kxx

8:06 pm, March 20, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look delicious! And I love using Jivara and Equatoriale..

9:43 am, March 21, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These cookies sounds delicious..looks fantastic.

2:09 am, March 22, 2009  
Blogger Elyse said...

Mmm, I love every single one of these variations on the bar!! Especially the bounty bar! Great pics.

10:29 am, March 22, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

These look ABSOLUTELY perfect. Millionaires shortbread has been just about my favourite thing since childhood. And yet I've never attempted to make them!
I'll have to give them a go. Keep your eyes peeled on my blog. Oh, mind if I put you on my blogroll?
Cheers, Richard.

6:14 pm, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

That looks soo good. Everything you make looks good! I love your site so much, it’s really great!
http://www.bakingmonster.blogspot.com/

10:01 am, March 24, 2009  
Blogger Snooky doodle said...

wow these bars look awesome !

3:40 am, March 30, 2009  
Blogger Tofu said...

Your pictures, recipes, and blog in general are all very beautiful. :]

Plus I think it's really cool that you live in Singapore!

10:56 am, June 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home