Saturday, February 09, 2008

Spring/Easter Class at Shermay's: Cupcakes, Cookies and Other Treats

I'll be teaching a Spring/Easter demo class at Shermay's Cooking School on 1 March 2008 (Saturday), 2 March 2008 (Sunday), 15 March 2008 (Saturday) and 16 March 2008 (Sunday) - the March schedule has all the necessary booking details. For all inquiries, please call the school at +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg

I didn't want to limit a theme so rich with possibilities to just cupcakes, or just cookies. So the solution was obvious - the class covers both areas, and a few other treats besides. This post features the cupcakes and some of the cupcake decorating ideas; I will put up a separate post soon featuring the decorated cookies.

The cupcake and cupcake topping recipes are:

Super Moist Carrot & Orange Cupcakes with Walnuts
If anything is worth perfecting, it is a classic like carrot cake. My idea of a well-made carrot cake, a carrot cake worth eating, is ultra moist, gently spiced, lifted with a touch of citrus zest and generously loaded with shredded carrots and chopped nuts - all in all, a lavish mouthful of comfort. The recipe I will be sharing is the same tried-and-tested gold standard I often turn to when I need to produce a sweet treat that will make a memorable impression at tea.
White Chocolate & Cream Cheese Frosting
A lavish carrot cake deserves a lavish frosting. Good white chocolate (I use Valrhona Ivoire) puts a luxurious spin on cream cheese frosting, lending mouthfeel and richness.
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Cheesecake Cupcakes with Cherry Topping
A buttery crumb base is topped with a luscious cream cheese filling extravagantly flavoured with vanilla bean and finished with a tart cherry topping.

I had a lot of fun coming up with ideas for decorating the cupcakes, from the fuss-free (like these candied carrot curls),

to the fabulously frou frou. Given the seasonal theme, coming up with the latter was virtually like playing a word association game. If there're carrots involved, the Easter bunny simply must put in an appearance.
Delicate little eggs, tinted a variety of pretty pastel washes, demand a basket,

a nest,

or a bed of grass.

And if there're eggs, a chick

or two can't be far behind.

And that's just the cherry on the cake, so to speak. I'll put up details on the decorated cookie component of the class soon; an easy-to-handle rolled dough (Rich Chocolate Cookies), plus familiarity with the ins and outs of working with Royal Icing (using a recipe based on egg white powder that's an alternative to meringue powder royal icing and classic royal icing) and core decorating techniques (from the basic like Outlining, Flooding, Drop-in Flooding, Overpiping, Flocking and Gilding to the slightly more challenging like Piped Icing Flowers), allow you to craft one-of-a-kind cookies and cookie pop bouquets. Sugar moulding techniques (for creating sugar cases and shaped sugar cubes) will also be covered.

On top of the above, the recipe pack includes a handful of bonus recipes - Simnel Cupcakes with Marzipan Centres; Raspberry & Dark Chocolate Cupcakes; Raspberry & Dark Chocolate Ganache. I won't be demonstrating these extra recipes during class so will be elaborating on them shortly as well.

21 Comments:

Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Oh these look delightful! I wish I could attend your classes... and your photography is just superb. I was missing your posts!

10:01 pm, February 09, 2008  
Blogger Sreelu said...

Hi there I am an ardent fan of your blog, loved the cupcakes, wish I could attend. I especially like the one sleeping. Great pics you are an inspiration

11:57 pm, February 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J, you sure know how to work a theme! These are very delightful indeed.

1:04 pm, February 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your website - what a nice surprise! Lovely photos and some great ideas. I will be back often.

4:47 am, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Cakespy said...

Every adorable cupcake on this post just makes me so happy. The creativity and cuteness is on overload here!

6:36 am, February 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't get over the amount of detail lavished on the carrots! Especially considering the scale

8:26 am, February 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! *speechless* Can't wait to see the decorated biscuits!

6:13 pm, February 11, 2008  
Blogger skoraq cooks said...

Greetings from Poland.

What else I can say other than WHOOOAAAA. You are really amazing. I must admit I admire your blog for some time already. Everything is amazing and very, very inspirational.

7:52 pm, February 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Joycelyn - these are all incredibly cute! As always, I'm wowed by your immaculate attention to detail (and the new AdV plates that I've been saving up for ;)) Enjoy the classes and looking forward to hearing about it. Take care. kxxx

8:05 pm, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Sonicstarburst said...

Signed up for it the moment I got Serine's email! So looking forward to it!

9:52 pm, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Thip said...

These are so cute, especially the chick and the basket.

1:59 am, February 12, 2008  
Blogger Fazia Rizvi said...

I thought I'd just *wave* and say that I've just now discovered your blog. Every thing looks absolutely glorious. Thank you for sharing. I'd be attending your classes if I wasn't thousands of miles away!

10:08 am, February 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey joycelyn, with so many of us fans so many thousands of miles away from where your classes are, please consider putting them up on youtube!

10:21 pm, February 13, 2008  
Blogger Melissa Rodriguez Photography said...

Your creations are gorgeous and your photography is amazing. You capture your stunning work beautifully!

7:01 am, February 14, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! These are soooo pretty!!! Your photography, stying , prep and everything is fantastic! You have such a talent to attention to detail.
Great job!

4:46 pm, February 14, 2008  
Blogger Jennie said...

Every time you put up something new, you amaze me. "Spellbinding" is all I can think to say about these cupcakes.

8:41 am, February 15, 2008  
Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

How I wish I could attend your class! What is the green grass made from?

8:49 am, February 16, 2008  
Blogger vale said...

So cute!!!
I don't think i will ever be able to come to ur lessons... that's why i ask u.... Can u put some recipes?
to learn the basics?


vale

5:16 am, February 22, 2008  
Blogger The Culinary Chase said...

Picture perfect......love the butterflies & baskets! Cheers.

6:32 pm, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Sophie said...

OH My GOODNESS! Your blog is probably one of the prettiest I've discovered. You are so talented; I love how beautiful all your desserts are! I'd be afraid of eating them, but they do look really tasty :). Your blog is a winner!

Sophie
Flour Arrangements

2:03 am, April 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Utterly beautiful, as always!!!

2:52 pm, April 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home