Sunday, November 04, 2007

Easy Peasy

As an antidote to all that preciousness (but in defense of preciousness, what better excuse than Christmas?), I've deliberately kept the finishing touches here fuss-free. For the lovely folks who've booked the Christmas Cupcake Class I'll be teaching at Shermay's Cooking School (see the December schedule for details) and might be checking in, here're more details about the 4 bonus recipes included in the recipe pack. As mentioned in this earlier post, I won't be demonstrating these extra recipes during class so thought it would be appropriate to give a few details here. For all their deliciousness, they're fast and simple to whip up - I think many who ordinarily don't bake very much might be inclined to do so during the festive season, and these are exactly the sort of recipes that might fit the bill, requiring as they do minimal effort on the part of the cook.

Espresso & Candied Orange
Coffee and candied citrus have a lovely affinity. This particular cupcake tastes of real coffee - as opposed to instant coffee - thanks to the use of illy espresso grounds and a dose of Nielsen Massey Pure Coffee Extract.

Spiced Honey
The personality of these will vary each and every time you make up a batch if you experiment with different honeys - mild, floral honeys like clover, acacia, heather and orange blossom work beautifully. The spicing is fairly subdued - just a grating of nutmeg and a touch of cloves - so that the character of the honey you've chosen can really come through.
Chocolate & Orange Marmalade
Jaffa Cakes are a guilty pleasure of mine, and the chocolate-orange flavours here (despite not having a "smashing orangey bit in the middle"!) remind me of that addictive little lunchbox treat. Using a quality marmalade makes all the difference, so don't be penny-wise here.

Tea Infused Gingerbread
Old-fashioned gingerbread recipes often use a splash of cold black tea or coffee in lieu of water to add depth to the flavour. This is one such recipe; the flavour of the tea plays less of a starring role and more of a supporting one. A frugal cook? You'll like this one; even leftover cold tea is not wasted and can be put to work here!

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally! i've missed your posts...J, it just goes to show whether it's elaborate or simple, every thing you make is always beautiful. oh, and you have the most amazing collection of beautiful accessories for cakes desserts etc!

e.

10:58 am, November 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning as usual! I can't wait for the class. I'll be there!

3:34 pm, November 04, 2007  
Blogger Katherine said...

Had to rush out yesterday so didn't get a chance to say thanks again for an inspiring lesson. You've singularly inspired me to finally get serious about baking and plunk down for the kitchenaid mixer. Your artistry and attention to detail is breath-taking and I dare say, bordering on the obsessive - but from one kitchen pedant to another - I totally understand. Looking forward to cupcakes class. Katherine

4:45 pm, November 04, 2007  
Blogger Stef said...

I love all your photos. Everything looks as yummy as I'm sure it is!

10:40 pm, November 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see a new post and these latest cupcakes are beautiful! I only wish I could take one of your classes. Ever considered teaching a class in New York? :-)

11:31 pm, November 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The length of time between your posts are longer than I would wish but it makes me relish it even more. What beautiful photos. So inspiring.

What a great way to start the week. Looking forward to your cupcake class!

1:30 am, November 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you just the other day! So happy to see you post again ... of course everything is just so beautiful!

7:54 am, November 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joycelyn, I wanted to thank you for the wonderful class on Christmas cookies I just attended. It was a real eye opener to watch you at work - like someone mentioned above, your artistic flair and eye for detail are very inspirational. What's more, despite having to focus on showing us how to create the many wonderful designs, you were incredibly gracious and patient with every little question that came your way. While I don't think I will be attempting the more intricate designs and will stick to the idiot-proof designs you so thoughtfully showed as well, observing you at work was a valuable lesson in itself.

8:24 am, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Gloria Baker said...

Joycelin, so beauty pictures and nice recipes!!! I like your blog, is my first time I come, so lovely site.xxxGloria

8:46 pm, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Anita said...

I must say again J, you have the luckiest students around! All of your photos look like beautiful vintage still lifes!

12:28 am, November 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's fantastic cupcakes!
I have been to Hammigbird Bakery in London - Notting Hill and had one last weekend and it was so nice. I bet yours must be delicious!

8:19 am, November 06, 2007  
Blogger Jay said...

Oh my gosh that looks so good!
~Jay's World

8:33 am, November 06, 2007  
Blogger Gloria Baker said...

I insist are beautiful!!!!! I have to celebrate Christmas now!!!!Gloria

3:46 am, November 07, 2007  
Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Even while trying to be light on the precious, your cakes are precious. Good work.

8:40 am, November 07, 2007  
Blogger lierre.empire said...

Jocelyn,
Your bakes always inspired me..thanks for the tips on the macarons..i will further improve on the macarons...the class that i attended was great..looking forward to your cupcake class!!!

10:27 pm, November 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

easy peasy and gorgeous! I love the chocolate and orange marmalade!

6:59 am, November 08, 2007  
Blogger Venus ~ Vi said...

Wow, simple yet divine! Your stuff always have an artsy flare to them! So inspiring!

12:49 pm, November 08, 2007  
Blogger Tony said...

What a find! I'm so glad I came across your blog, lah!

These cupcakes will feature in my Christas hampers - especially the Espresso & Candied Orange ones. YUM!

Greetings from a cold London! Wishing I was back in Singapore ... my old 'home' for many years!

9:33 am, November 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do get all your beautiful glass containers and stands? Immaculate.

6:14 pm, November 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joyce,
Just wanted to thank you for the fantastic cupcake class I just attended over the weekend. Now I know what all the fuss is about, and why there's perpetually a waitlist for your classes. They're truly worth the wait! You're a wonderful teacher - patient, meticulous (almost extremely so!), clear, and generous with details and tips and techniques. While these attributes may seem like basic requirements for anyone supposedly fit to teach, sad to say, it is not always the case. You have a rare gift.

2:48 pm, November 20, 2007  
Blogger Pembelinin Mutfağı said...

Merhaba, blogunuzdaki tarifler ve resimler öyle güzel görünüyor ki, keşke Türkçe versiyonu da olsaydı :( Sadece resimlere bakmakla yetineceğim anlaşılan.

3:18 pm, November 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home