Friday, March 30, 2007

Macaron Classes at Shermay's

It's taken quite a few months to plan, but I'm really psyched about teaching a new class at Shermay's Cooking School ... Macarons & Biscotti, a demo class, will be held on 12 May 2007 (Saturday) and 13 May 2007 (Sunday). The May schedule has all the details; for inquiries, call +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg.

There are many reasons I feel both excited and privileged to be doing so, but chiefly, it's because I am a bit fixated on macarons, those jewel-like confections that take pride of place in the lavish window displays of Paris' best pâtisseries. Whether it's being on the constant lookout for the ultimate fix, hinting to a loved one to do so on one's behalf, losing sleep over glitches, losing sleep over the quest for new best practice, there are few things I won't do in the name of eating or making a better macaron.

I learnt how to make macarons by making mistakes aplenty and learning from those mistakes. A distillation from my own experiences, I hope to show not just how to make macarons, but how to avoid those potential pitfalls that give macarons a largely undeserved rep as a tough cookie for home bakers to do. In truth, it really isn't rocket science, but macarons do demand of you time and patience - both of which are richly rewarded when you behold perfectly smooth domes with their frilly skirting (referred to as the "foot") and sink your teeth through that eggshell-thin crust to find a moist and utterly luscious interior.

The class will cover 4 classic macaron flavours:

Chocolate Macarons filled with Valrhona Araguani 72% Dark Chocolate Ganache

Hazelnut Macarons filled with Valrhona Jivara Lactée 40% Milk Chocolate Ganache

Vanilla Macarons with Vanilla Bean Buttercream
(buttercream made via method using
pâte à bombe)

Coffee Macarons with Coffee Buttercream
(buttercream made via method using
pâte à bombe)

When it comes to cookie-like things to go with tea or coffee, she who is apt to make her own macarons is also apt to make her own biscotti. So to round off the fairly intensive class, a light, crisp and delicate biscotti recipe that, by comparison, is a real doddle to pull off so long as a few essential pointers (which will be covered during the session) are kept in mind.

Hazelnut & Cinnamon Biscotti
(with other ideas for easy flavour variations, and optional Chocolate Glaze)

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your macaroons and your photos are just as scrumptious. I hope you will also give us the recipe for both or tell us the source. If I lived in Singapore, I would definitely take this class.
Ellen

6:48 am, March 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting class you have there, definitely something that i myself would like to learn.

8:30 am, March 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely need to be part of this class ! ;-)
Your macarons look amazing !
Maybe you already know this french blog... http://mercotte.canalblog.com/archives/2007/03/19/4334815.html

9:25 pm, March 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What gorgeous photos and perfect macarons. I’ll be there for the class. Can't wait, hope there are still spaces! :)

2:02 am, March 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering, will you be conducting the class again in june, cos I'll be abroad the exact week of the classes, and I've been so looking forward to it...

2:54 am, March 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love macarons, even with the italian meringue method (my prefered method), i sometimes end up screwing them up. they are so delicate, but absolutely delicious. Yours look perfect. Hats off. Especially the chocolate macaron.

Any possiblity that you'll have a cooking class in the Netherlands? :D

10:18 pm, March 31, 2007  
Blogger Victoria said...

Hello=)

Funny thing, been secretly rummaging for macaroon recipes online today during a com. lab tutorial at uni. hah! now I feel like baking them more then ever. =) Wish i was back in Singapore, have missed the previous few classes and felt rotten over it. better luck soon eh?=) heh, have a good one!

5:19 pm, April 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such perfect macarons! I did hear they were hard to make. Again, I wish I was in Singapore to take your classes.

8:34 pm, April 03, 2007  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Awwwww, I so want to go as I love macaroons. Think we will need to sign up as a member soon at this rate. Am attending yr classes in April so will catch up with you.

3:31 pm, April 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite divine ... macaroons are a mystery to me ... have never tried to make them ... I'm not going to be able to get to your class I'm afraid ... one question: How does that "foot" happen?

4:10 pm, April 04, 2007  
Blogger Steffles said...

In my little world of limited macaroons, I now understand why you're addicted to them when I tasted some really good ones from a pattisier in Barcelona. Happy baking and teaching! Love your pictures.

4:53 pm, April 04, 2007  
Blogger Rachael Narins said...

I love the presentation. Such a sweet little box!

4:41 am, April 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh the class I've been waiting for! Will see ya during the class :)

11:08 am, April 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had already signed up for yr class. See u.

rgds
jennifer

4:59 pm, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Ally said...

hi joycelyn, are you a photographer by profession? your shots are really gorgeous!

11:29 pm, April 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to attend your class on May 12 as I'll be in Singapore during that weekend, but I've been told that it's already full! Ah, better luck next time! =))

11:24 pm, April 09, 2007  
Blogger Linda said...

i recently had macaroons like these from my corner bakery... i wish i knew how to make them. yours look simply perfect. and the photos are divine!

5:26 am, April 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joycelyn, your macarons are well worth the mental energy you devote to them. They look almost like Platonic representations of the cookie. I don't suppose you'd ever consider a little change to the hazelnut macarons, however? The glutton in me fantasizes about hazelnut macarons with a Nutella ganache. The glutton in me would, nonetheless, happily devour any of these macarons as is.

12:55 pm, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Mong's cupcakes said...

I've always wanted to learn how to make macaroons, esp trying one divine ones that my pilot friend brought back from dunno where....

Hope my place for your class is confirmed.

Looking forward.

Mong

4:46 pm, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Mong's cupcakes said...

I've always wanted to learn how to make macaroons, esp trying one divine ones that my pilot friend brought back from dunno where....

Hope my place for your class is confirmed.

Looking forward.

Mong

4:50 pm, April 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look gorgeous! I'm graduating this sem and looking for things to do during the summer break, am going to put attending one of your classes on my list!

Ooo btw this is probably waay below you but would you by any chance know where I can get moulds that look like Haribo gummi bears? My sister WANTS homemade gummi bears for her birthday!

3:49 pm, April 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi J,

Please consider starting another macarons class in the near future pretty please..both your classes are already full by the time i enquire last week..

Look all your gorgeous creations.

12:59 pm, April 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How well you master these J. As usual, beautifully tempting!

8:38 pm, April 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just descovering your blog! it's so beautiful, the pictures are wonderful! thanks for giving me so much beauty ;-)

12:31 am, April 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness...i have been macaron making the last 2 weeks now! and it's been pure pain! but the results are worth it. they are heavenly! pls conduct another class soon, so i can brush up and get mine as perfect as yours! thnx for the inspiration. Sally

11:16 pm, May 02, 2007  
Blogger Mong's cupcakes said...

I attended your macaroon class today. I absolutely loved it. Will probably be baking biscotti and macaroons and stuffing my friends and family till they expand at their waist..

Your class was awesome. Thank you.

10:54 pm, May 13, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Joycelyn,

I am looking for macaron classes in Singapore and stumble upon your blog and OMG, your macarons look fabulicious! My parents live in Singapore and I'm planning to visit them last week of Sept to first 2 weeks of Oct. Do you still offer this class? I DESPERATELY want to learn from you. I have made many batches of macaron before but each time something wasn't right =( . I'm living in Texas, USA so if you can teach a class, it will be a valuable opportunity for me. I'm willing to compensate for your time and the ingredients. I can also help you buy things from US if you need something! Please let me know if you can teach me. Thanks thanks thanks in advance! =D

7:29 am, July 21, 2010  
Blogger michelle said...

Hi may i know if you will be teaching this class any time soon again?

11:33 am, February 23, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home